Rules and Guidelines
The Ohio GIS Conference Map Gallery will be on display at the upcoming Ohio GIS Conference, September 10-12, 2008. The purpose of the Map Gallery is to display the unique communication capabilities of a Geographic Information System (GIS). Conference attendees are encouraged to submit maps that are made in the course of their daily jobs.
- Entry form must be received by 3 p.m. Wednesday, September 3, 2008 in order for your map(s) to be displayed and judged. Please see instructions on entry form.
- Maps may have multiple authors but at least one must be a paid conference attendee.
- You may enter a single map or a series of maps. All sizes are encouraged. However, due to space limitations, the maximum space allotted per entry is 44“H x 46“W. If you feel your map(s) requires special accommodations, please contact a committee member to make arrangements.
- Please note that this is a Map Gallery, not a display of posters or promotional materials. Although overall map layouts can contain text, photos, tables, charts and other graphics, the map should be the primary focus. The purpose of the map should be apparent without reading excessive amounts of text. Posters featuring GIS web applications are not considered a map. GIS web applications could be submitted for an OGRIP Best Practices Award. More information is available at http://ogrip.oit.ohio.gov/Coordination/BestPracticesAward.aspx.
- Maps must arrive by 1 pm Wednesday, September 10 at the conference registration counter. If you will not be able to submit your map in person by 1 pm, you may mail your map(s) directly to the conference hotel using the information below. Please understand that by mailing your map(s), you are doing so at your own risk. Do not send hard copy maps to OGRIP, CEAO or a Map Gallery Committee member.
- Any maps arriving AFTER the 1 p.m. deadline may be displayed in the Gallery for viewing only, but they will NOT be judged nor be eligible for the People’s Choice award.
- This year, the Map Gallery Committee is requiring that PDF versions of all maps be submitted upon delivery of the hard copy map. Images will be used during the awards presentations and will also be included in the conference proceedings. Please be sure to bring a CD or flash drive so your map can be transferred to the Map Gallery Committee laptop. Please be mindful of file size, PDF will not be used for print production so high resolution is not necessary.
- Map Gallery Committee has final say about eligibility of maps considered for competition and adherence to these rules.
Hotel Phone 614-885-1885
Hotel Mailing Address
Ohio GIS Conference Map Gallery (Sept. 10-12)
Crowne Plaza Hotel - Columbus North
6500 Doubletree Ave
Columbus, OH 43229
Your maps will be displayed and judged according to the following categories:
||Displays the location of a geographic feature(s) or jurisdiction(s)
||County Highway map, trails map, utilities map, natural resources, etc.
||Communicates data that is not inherently geographic (displaying data)
||Income, population density, municipal zoning, traffic accidents, etc.
||Exhibits problem solving, analyzing data or shows a trend (interpreting data)
||Future plans, comparisons, survey results, study results, etc.
- If you are unsure into which category your map should be entered, please contact a Map Gallery Committee member.
Maps in all categories will be judged on their presentation of concept and purpose, technical merit (elements, principles and techniques) and overall design (appeal, artistry and composition).
If there are a large number of entries in a category, maps in that category may be divided into small- and large-format for judging.
There will be an award for each category, for the Best of Show (highest overall score), and for People's Choice (conference attendee votes).
Both color and black-and-white maps are encouraged.
If left behind at the conference, maps will become the property of the Map Gallery Committee and will not be returned.
Please note, by completing an Entry Form for the Map Gallery, you are not registering for the Ohio GIS Conference. You will need to register for the conference separately.
By displaying your map at the conference, you earn 1 Contribution point toward your GISP (re)certification.